Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2-2

It is strange being back on campus, watching the students I once knew so well as they move about their day, consumed by their petty problems, which to them control their lives. Being on the outside of this, I seem to have grown a hard shell against these annoyances, such as classes, significant others and beverage choices. One such male entered the shop in his brown Carhart jacket; his swagger marked him as confident and in control of the simple existence he was leading. He stood at the counter, staring at the board of options for at least 3 minutes before making his profound decision. I admit, that even I have been guilty of this menial crime from time to time, but of course that does not come into considerations when I am judging others for my own entertainment. That male, I decided in my own head, was a poor semblance of a life form, that was hard pressed to make something of himself.

Many others after him approach the counter and gaze, bewildered at the wall of text. They had most likely seen this board many times before, but always seem to have difficulty interpreting meaning from it. Why is this, you may ask? The words are written plainly, even for a diluted college student, so what is the problem? I believe it is the French words that get people sometimes. Why can they not just say “This drink contains an obscene amount of chocolate!” Or “Drink this if you want an abhorrent dose of caffeine!” But then again, most 18-22 year olds do not know the definition of obscene or abhorrent, so that plan wouldn’t work. In short, I do not know how to solve this troubling problem and will tire myself over it no longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment